Pages

Monday 30 July 2012

Gelato Messina @ Darlinghurst

3 Comments



Ice cream, you scream, we all scream ICE CREAM! I have a slight obsession with ice cream no matter the season, and considering in America, July is considered ice cream month, why not make the most of it? (Even though we are in Australia and generally don't celebrate American holidays). 

After so many posts on Twitter and Facebook about Gelato Messina, I have finally got around to trying it, and I was absolutely delighted with every spoonful. In summary, a must try!

Slivoka Pavlova: Meringue, raspberry and vanilla = match made in heaven. You can't go wrong with those 3 flavours, especially when combined. The crunch of the meringue against the soft vanilla was magnificent. As you add raspberry to the mix, the sweetness of the meringue, is counteracted by the tartness of the raspberry components.


I have always wanted to try a bombe alaska, especially when I have seen it being made so often on TV. When I saw it in the window, it was calling out 'buy me'. This was extremely yummy, especially with the hazelnut against the soft Italian meringue. The annoying part of this dessert was getting to the sponge. Since it is ice cream, the sponge went hard which made it extremely hard to scoop. I ended up using my hands and biting it.




On top of getting the two cakes, went next door to the ice cream parlour and felt the need to try the ice cream. Reading so many intriguing flavours, ended up settling on coconut lychee and pannacotta with fig and amaretti. Both were extremely addicting, and after those 2 scoops the temptation to get more ice cream was there.



The next day, ended up Gelato Messina again where I was finally able to try the Mini Me (mushroom looking dessert). This was my favourite of them all, the chocolate with caramel, peanut butter and vanilla, makes your mouth water. What made this dessert that extra bit amazing was the popping candy biscuit base. Although it was hard to break (I ended up using my hands) it was phenomenal. The popping candy results in a party in your mouth, and along with the ice cream components, you are all invited!


Good food, good times!



3 comments:

chocolatesuze 31 July 2012 at 08:35

teehee love the look of the mini me! and dying to try that pav!

Post a Comment